Wednesday, July 27, 2011

An Ode to Kidney Stones

So....it happened. What was always a story about someone else, has now become my own story about KIDNEY STONES!

Two Sundays ago I was serving lunch to some campers when I felt a little crampy. I chalked it up to too much dancing in chapel, took a Tylenol, and harnessed up on the challenge tower to belay children up to the zip line. Shortly into the first group the pain worsened a bit and I found it difficult to stand up straight. By the time I walked in the door at home....OUCH! Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

Long story short-After four hours and a long look at our insurance policy and deductible, David dumped me in the car and we headed for the hospital. While in the ER, I politely and constantly reminded the doctors and nurses that I had to be back at camp by ten. We were throwing a late-night birthday party for a camper and I was desperate to be back in time! We had three hours to sort out what was happening. (David and I laughed so much in that ER room. I'll remember that the most). One test after another and hours passed by...until the doctor came in to let us know that I had a large kidney stone in my left kidney (little did I know that the next day at the Urologist I would find out that I had not one, but five stones). I was so bummed. Camp was going on and it was my last full week of summer camp at Prairie Camp. I pouted, then accepted the IV pain medication.

The plan was to blast the stone on Tuesday and hope that the fragments would pass. FYI-the blast was described as a machine that punches you in the back 2,500 times and sends waves into the kidney to break up the stone. Unfortunately, the procedure did not break up the stone enough so the pain continued. After a quick x-ray on Monday and a visit with my doctor the decision was made to once again go into surgery and remove the stone. That surgery was today at 6am. At the conclusion of the surgery, the doctor came out and told David that had removed six stones from the left kidney. Now I'm home and recovering. Praise Jesus!

I would like to share with you a few reasons why I don't like my darling kidney stones, a well as share with you all the great things that happened because of the tiny little stones in my kidney (which my sweet nephew thinks is from Aunt Carrie eating rocks).

Things I don't like about my kidney stones:
1. They hurt so bad. Everyone has stories about kidney stones and the pain that they cause. They are not exaggerating. They really do cause terrible pain.
2. I really hated missing camp. As I lay in my bed I could hear the children playing outside and the music roaring from chapel. I was so sad to miss out.
3. I despise straining urine. After you have your stones blasted, they ask that you strain your urine for five days following the procedure. Do you know how many times you go to the bathroom in five days, especially after a kidney procedure?! I must have went 1,000 times. Remember what I said about kidney stone owners and how they don't exaggerate? Imagine straining your pee 1,000 times. It's enough to make anyone go crazy.
4. Strong pain medication makes me a little crazy.
5. Kidney stone stents are from the Devil. They should be classified as a form of severe torture.

Now, on to the good part. Many great things have happened because of my battle with kidney stones. I won't say I am glad I had/have them, but I will say that God has used this time to bring about various realizations. Here are some of those:
1. Everyone has a kidney stone story. It wasn't long before many people heard about my stones. I found it funny to hear everyone else's horror stories as well as the various ways they were able to find comfort in the midst of the pain. The next party I attend I will begin a conversation about kidney stones. Everyone seems to love to talk about their experience. Thanks to all of you who gave me great tips!
2. My Summer staff shined while I was away. The summer camp team has worked so long together that they knew exactly what to do in my absence. They didn't need me. I decided I was like like Nanny McPhee...When you need me, I'll be there, but when you want me but don't need me, I'll make my presence unseen. They rocked the last week of summer camp. I felt like a proud parent.
3. There was such an outpouring of support by family and friends. I received so many facebook messages, emails, texts, and calls. I felt encouraged and loved.
4. We experienced incredible family time. All weekend we set up shop in our bedroom, David, Stella and me. We played games, colored pictures, had a picnic, and watched princess movies. We seldom find time to do that during the summer months. It was heavenly.
5. Last one and my favorite. Stella learned how to pray. Several times throughout the last two weeks we would pray for relief. David would often lay hands on me to do so and we would invite Stella to join us. One afternoon, Stella and I were on my bed when she put her hand on my belly and said the words, "Dear Jesus, please help mama get better. Amen" The words were so clear. She had watched and learned what it meant to pray for one another. I just wept....until she put my hand on her belly and had me pray the same prayer...then we laughed.

So, in conclusion...

I hate you kidney stones, but I love what you taught me while taking up residence in my kidney. Now we wait til the end of August and do the whole process over again to clean out the four in my right kidney. I'll think about that another day.

1 comment:

Janelle Prenkert said...

Sucky Kidney Stones. Sorry you had that experience! So sweet to hear about Stella. I love it when kiddos pray. Such faith in a sentence prayer. ~Janelle